Green Thread® is the core of the ARAMARK environmental stewardship program. The program is woven through every facet of our organization and provides a means to assess, improve and measure the environmental impact of our business practices. At all of our Parks and Destinations locations, our environmental efforts are designed to conform to the rigorous ISO 14001 standard for environmental performance. We focus our efforts on the following areas for the greatest impact:
We understand the power and importance of food in our daily lives and interactions, and recognize that our food choices have a significant impact on our health, culture, environment, and local and global economies. We strive to offer our clients and customers fresh whole foods that are raised, grown, harvested and produced locally and in a sustainable manner whenever possible. We partner with suppliers to increase the availability of these foods.
We consider the environmental impacts of our purchasing practices in how we operate our business every day. We seek to purchase and use environmentally preferable products and services. By partnering with our suppliers, customers and environmental experts, we’re able to understand the impacts of available products and services on the environment and communities, and to identify better alternatives.
Building operations are a large consumer of natural resources and a major contributor to greenhouse gas emissions. In our own operations and in partnership with our clients, we help create and operate buildings that are increasingly environmentally friendly, energy efficient and healthy for those who use them.
Energy and Water Conservation
Our operations depend on safe and reliable energy and water sources. Nearly all of the energy we consume is supplied by finite natural resources, the generation of which contributes to climate change and affects the environmental quality of the communities we serve. We advocate for and partner with our clients to bring a range of energy and water conservation programs to the places we operate.
We rely on a service fleet as well as other transportation to deliver products and services to our locations. Recognizing that reducing our fuel use and emissions has a substantial impact on the environment, we partner with our suppliers, vehicle manufacturers, clients and government organizations to improve operational efficiency and explore new technologies.
The responsible management of emissions and waste are requirements to sustain and restore our natural resources and the communities in which we serve. We’re committed to minimizing our environmental footprint by promoting and practicing waste reduction, reuse, and recycling in our operations and those of our clients.
In 2009 we achieved the following:
- We implemented a state-of-the-art, transparent data collection program that enhances our measurement platform.
- A reduction in electricity use of 5,242,040 Kilowatt Hours – a decrease of 16%.
- A reduction in water use of more than 12 million gallons – a decrease of nearly 5%.
- A decrease of landfill trash of nearly 670,000 pounds – a decrease of 19%.
- An increase in recycling of nearly 1.4 million pounds – an increase of nearly 7%.
- Through recycling and re-use programs, an increase in diverting nearly 13% of total waste from local landfills.
- 60% of all fish and seafood purchases compliant with the Monterey Bay Aquarium Seafood Watch Program for Best and Good Alternative seafood choices.
- 72% of all coffee purchases meeting organic, shade tree and/or Fair Trade sustainability criteria.
- 48% of all disposable Service Ware purchased meeting recyclable or compostable criteria.
- 67% of food service paper products made from recycled or post consumer content.
While these results demonstrate our unwavering commitment to environmental stewardship and improved performance, we recognize environmental sustainability is not a destination, but an ongoing journey. While we’ve taken many important steps to reducing our footprint, our ongoing efforts ensure even greater success in the future.